News

Featured

Poll: Overwhelming public support for stronger, immediate protections to block Asian carp from Great Lakes

Original press release from the Office of Governor Rick Snyder
Sept. 25, 2018

New survey finds over 7 in 10 residents back ‘fair share’ funding proposal in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin 

LANSING, Mich. – A first-of-its-kind public opinion poll shows an overwhelming majority of people who live near the Great Lakes support immediate action to install additional structural protections that can keep Asian carp from moving out of Illinois rivers and into the Great Lakes. Read More >

Gov. Snyder urges Illinois to help pay protections to block Asian carp from Great Lakes

UPMatters.com
Dec. 11, 2018

Today Gov. Rick Snyder sent a letter urging Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner to join Michigan and other Midwestern states and provinces in a partnership to prevent Asian carp from entering the Great Lakes. The letter outlines a partnership agreement that would provide up to $8 million of Michigan funds to support the Brandon Road lock and dam project to help block the entry of this harmful invasive species.  Read More >

Michigan governor seeks Illinois’ help with Asian carp plan

Associated Press 
Dec. 11, 2018

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder is urging his Illinois counterpart to help pay for a project to keep invasive carp from establishing themselves in the Great Lakes.

Snyder sent a letter Tuesday to fellow outgoing Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner, seeking support in fortifying a waterway. Snyder says Michigan would provide up to $8 million for upgrading the Brandon Road Lock and Dam near Joliet, Illinois. Read More >

Michigan committed in moving Illinois Asian carp block forward, despite higher cost

WWMT-TV
Nov. 29, 2018

The projected cost of preventing Asian carp from reaching the great lakes has nearly tripled, According to a new plan released by the US Army Corps of Engineers.

The federal government is expected to cover 65 percent of that cost of the nearly $778 million construction price tag. The report calls for the other 35 percent to come from a "non-federal contributor." Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner announced this past May that Illinois would work with federal officials and other states on a strategy for fortifying the Joliet-area lock and dam to keep Asian carp out of Lake Michigan. Read More >

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers issues final draft plan to keep invasive carp out of Great Lakes

WUOM-FM Michigan Radio
Nov. 23, 2018

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has released a costly final draft of its plan to keep invasive Asian carp out of Lake Michigan.

But environmentalists say it will be worth every penny.

The plan at the Brandon Road Lock and Dam, about 60 miles south of Chicago, would cost about $775 million.    Read More >